Communicating Non-Defensively, Revised
We’re all naturally defensive to some degree, and nowhere is it more apparent than in our communications with others. This video reveals five essential steps to sending and receiving messages non-defensively for better communication and effectiveness in the workplace.
- DVD or USB
- Leader’s Guide
- Sample Participant Workbook
- Express themselves openly
- Shift away from the defensive
- Guide others toward better communication
Have you ever expressed an opinion that led others to become defensive or hostile – even if you didn’t mean it personally? Many people have reasons for believing they’re being attacked. Defensive behavior can lead to hurt feelings, arguments and hostilities, often affecting a variety of relationships. The Defensiveness Chain that is created impairs communication and reduces productivity.
Communicating Non-Defensively shows five essential skills that promote a productive work environment. Viewers gain a clear understanding of why all people are naturally defensive, as well as learn the symptoms and consequences of inappropriate defensiveness. This video shows that we all must be responsible for how we deliver AND receive messages.
It also shows:
- How to disengage from a defensive position
- How to empathize and disarm a defensive person
- How to inquire and focus on the issues
- How to disclose ones own needs and goals non-defensively
- How to depersonalize the issues.
Communicating Non-Defensively reminds viewers that when comments and opinions get passed around that are potentially defensive the focus should be on behavioral patterns, so the receiver has less reason to receive it personally.