A Leader’s Guide To Delegating
Getting work done through others can often be difficult because it inevitably involves a loss of control. This program outlines a solid process for delegating and gives valuable insight to both new and experienced managers.
- DVD or USB
- Facilitator’s Guide
- Participant Workbook
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Analyze the Task
- Choose the Right Delegatee
- Assign the Task
- Execute the Task
- Conduct Regular Feedback Sessions
What’s every top manager’s secret to success? In a word: delegate, delegate, delegate. But getting work done through others can often be difficult because it inevitably involves a loss of control. This program outlines a solid process for delegating and gives valuable insight to both new and experienced managers.
Participants Will Learn A Plan For Successful Delegation Presented In Five Steps:
- Analyze the Task: Get specific about what needs to be done to achieve the goal. This includes setting a deadline and sizing up resources.
- Choose the Right Delegatee: The right candidate should be highly motivated and possess the needed skills. (Delegating without giving careful consideration to your most qualified delegate is just “dumping.”)
- Assign the Task: Give clear instructions on desired outcomes – down to details like charts and presentations as well as resources available, deadlines, follow up steps, and amount of authority being delegated.
- Execute the Task: While your delegate is executing the task, ensure that other team members are ready to support the process by communicating the delegatee’s assignment and the authority he/she has been given.
- Conduct Regular Feedback Sessions: Monitor issues so they don’t become problems, and give the person opportunities to ask questions about the assignment.
Effective delegation accomplishes more than just the task at hand. It also builds trust for future delegations, helps employees develop new skills, reduces managerial stress and improves organizational productivity.